4.3 Classroom Agreements

Classroom agreements differ from restorative contracts in that they are set out at the beginning of the school year and form the basis for how students will behave in the school and class. They are referenced during the restorative process (e.g., in the responsive circle), and in the creation of a restorative contract.

You don’t have to wait until a harmful incident has occurred to conduct a responsive circle. If you notice concerning behavior or if a student has expressed a fear that something might happen, you can bring students together to discuss the concern in an exercise to avoid a harmful incident. The classroom agreement can be referenced as the model for the behavior expected of each student in the classroom and throughout the school.

The following steps are used in creating a classroom agreement:

• Speak with the class about the how classroom agreements (rules) will be developed in the classroom. Avoid using the phrase “my classroom”, emphasizing that it is everyone’s classroom.
  • On chart paper write the following question: “What needs to happen in this classroom for all of us to do our very best learning?”
  • Provide each student in the class with a piece of paper that has this question written on top of the page. Instruct the students to work independently or with a partner to answer the question. If you are concerned that not all students will be comfortable participating publicly, instruct students not to write their name on the paper and then have them handed to you.
  • Use the chart paper to capture the ideas students have shared. You can collect the papers and write their statements on the chart as outlined above, or if there are no impediments to participation you can simply ask students to state what has been written.
  • Post the list and ask your students if they would like to add any other ideas to the list.

The following is a sample list of what you might hear or receive:

What needs to be done in this classroom for each of us to do our best learning?
• Get along
• I need quiet
• I work better with a friend
• I need to understand directions
• No put-downs
• Have some fun learning
• Don’t interrupt
• Not too quiet
• No one takes my stuff
• Show respect for each other

The next step is to work with students to group the ideas into three or four categories such as “be safe”, “be responsible”, “be mindful”, etc. On a new chart paper create two columns for your classroom agreements, identifying appropriate categories and include the ideas shared by students during the creation of your initial list.

Our Classroom Agreements
Class Agreements Students’ Ideas
Everyone in this class agrees to:
1. Show respect and help others feel safe • no put-downs
• no interruptions
• no disrespect
• all questions are welcome
2. Be responsible • come prepared
• ask if you need further direction
3. Recognize there are different ways to learn • I need quiet
• I work best with friends
• Give us enough time
4. Have fun learning • not too much work
• have some fun learning
• Do lots of stuff

Using the classroom agreement in a responsive circle reminds students of their commitments and assists the teacher in addressing issues related to them. It does not preclude the teacher or facilitator from addressing issues not specified in the classroom agreement. Reparation should always come from the desire to make things right, not a focus on rules and stated agreements. It is imperative that the teacher or facilitator listen to each student and guide them when necessary to real and positive intentions, not just a recitation of their understanding of the rules.

The right-click function has been disabled for all ASAP Elearning Solutions assessments.